Saturday, November 21, 2009

2 weeks post baby!


Welcome to the world Layla!



My beautiful baby girl is taking a nap & while she's doing that, I'm going to attempt to recap Labor and Delivery & whats been going on since!

Layla is 2 weeks old already! It seems like just yesterday we were immpatiently waiting for my due date, which came and went.


November 6th 2009 Chris and I made our last trip from home as a couple, to become a family of three! We left the house at about 5:15pm and made our way to Crouse Irving Hospital! We checked in and got admitted. My room was waiting for me with a gift bag from Jessicas Mom! My first nurse just so happened to be the woman from our birthing class! :) I got hooked up to the monitor and IV & got checked for dilitation ( still at 1CM! ) The Dr. came in and gave me cervidil (sp?) to help me dialate. They say only about 10% of women actually go into labor from the cervidil. Chris was able to sleep, which was good! I was a little too excited and nervous to get a good nights rest. The nurse gave me some benadryl and I dozed a little better. It was kind of hard though, with IV fluids running non stop and Layla pushing even harder on my bladder, I was getting up at least every 45 minutes! Finally 12 hours later at about 8AM they took out the meds and checked my cervix which was at 4CM!!! I was in the 10% to go into labor!! They gave me the go ahead to shower and get something to eat. Chris ran to Dunkin Donuts while I showered then we ate & took a quick walk around the floor, before startingthe Pitocin at about 10AM. I have to say, this isn't going to be a very interesting story since I found the first 8 hours of labor to be a piece of CAKE! So much for the horror stories that being induced is so much worse. I couldn't have asked for a better experience! The pitocin started very low and they gradually increased the dosage every 15 minutes. We started at 2 ml and ended at about 52ml. Still managing the pain pretty well I got the epidural just incase I wouldn't be able to handle it when it got too late! The epidural was a cinch too, so glad I went through with that! After the epidural was in they asked me if it was working & I said I didn't know! The nurse said it was because the monitor was showing a HUGE contraction! YAY!


Chris got some more sleep while he could and I tried to stay busy, since I could not sleep! I was finally bored out of my mind and thirsty as anything so I sent Chris for his 100th trip to get me some juice which he did very quickly everytime I woke him up! :) Then we watched the penn state game while labor really increased! 6CM to 7 in about 2 hours. 7CM-8Cm in about and hour 8-9 in another hour. Then the pressure kicked in. This wasn't what I was expecting, it really hurt! With every contraction it was getting worse. Chris was great, he held my hand and rubbed my leg and counted for me. Enough was enough, about 45 minutes of that and I couldn't take it anymore. It was time to push!! Chris ran to get the nurse who said I wouldn't be ready yet. When the nurse and the resident made it to my room 10 minutes later I was fully dialated and READY! I had a few practice pushes and they said they could see hair! After about 45 minutes I could feel my babys head! Shortly after that, we welcomed our gorgeous baby girl, Layla Grace Bratt into the world at 7:52 PM! I remember Chris saying " She's here baby! She's beautiful! " They put her on my chest and wiped her clean. Layla wasn't crying. I honestly don't know that she was even breathing yet. I kept asking if she was OK & they told me yes. Then they took her from me & had to stick tubes down her throat and nose to clean the fluid from her lungs. Chris stayed with her & he looked SO PROUD! As scared as I was, Those were the most amazing moments of my entire life! They had to take Layla to the NICU for a "pit stop" as they called it. She was OK, but they just wanted to do a full check. Daddy went up with her.


When daddy brought her back we enjoyed our new addition and ate varsity pizza! Pizza will never taste as good as it did right after giving birth! :)


I guess the rest of the story & whats been going on are going to have to wait.


Mommy & Daddy love you more than you will ever know Layla!


Layla Grace Bratt


November 7th, 2009 at 7:52PM


9 pounds 1.5 oz. 20 3/4 inches

No comments:

Post a Comment